Monday, April 6, 2009

Slowly But Surely

It seems like I've been doing a little bit of everything the past week! I met with Wendy, a good friend of mine who is going to design the website. I should have the design in the next week or so, and then it is just up to me to get the information written up for it. We have a scheduled launch date of May 1. Once the site is up and running, I plan to move the blog over to the website so watch for a notice of the switch!

I talked to the Virginia Department of Health, trying to get some more information about the state's reporting requirements. I am a Virginia resident, so I figured it was probably best to start there. From what I have gathered, state reporting requirements only require reporting to the state's health department, not the CDC. Given this, I think it is very important to start working on national reporting requirements. I am not sure the best way to go about this yet, but it is something I will be talking to people about to figure out how to get it done.

I also talked to the delegate in the Virginia House of Delegates that I used to work for. He was very helpful in giving me some suggestions, and also told me I could come to him if I needed legislation introduced. I'm very glad to know I have someone I can go to for advice - and help - if I need it!

There is also an opportunity that may be coming up where I can start to get the word out more - not only about starting my organization, but about CJD and prion diseases in general. I will post more on this later if it ends up working out.

Finally, I will direct you to an interesting article I came across regarding prions in yeast. It seems it may open up some new avenues for research, and assist in determining why prions have both the normal and misfolded forms.

1 comment:

  1. I believe but I am not sure that CJD is listed as a nationally notifiable disease with the CDC. So, if a state mandates reporting, I thought they were supposed to report these findings to the CDC.
    This is an issue that doesn't seem to bother the neuroepidemiology unit at the CDC.

    ReplyDelete